Tuesday, 7 October 2008
Also now is the time for sowing shallots - and we have those too!
Friday, 26 September 2008
The warm dry weather is here again this weekend, what have we done to deserve it?! Its the perfect time to get into the garden and tick a few jobs off of the list before the rain comes back (which it will!)
- Plant out winter flowering pansies now for flowers right through the cold months.
- Pot Amaryllis bulbs for indoor flowers later on.
- Apply an autumn lawn food to your lawn to help strengthen the grass through winter and to give it a boost in early spring.
- Plant garlic, onion sets and shallots for over wintering. This will help reduce the chance of them bolting (running to seed) next spring.
- Soft fruit will be in stock soon so prepare a bed for raspberries, currants and gooseberries.
Whatever you do in the garden this weekend, enjoy.
Thursday, 25 September 2008
As the weather begins to change the leaves are starting to fall, and its time to clear up the garden. We have a couple of 'Autumn Price Pruners' that are just to good to miss. We've got Besom Brooms, with strong bamboo handles, at only £3.99 each and plastic Leaf Rakes at only £6.49 each.
The perfect opportunity to make a clean sweep!
Friday, 19 September 2008
- Plant prepared hyacinths for Christmas flowering indoors
- Remove tired summer bedding and replace with winter flowering pansies
- Begin planting spring flowering bulbs
- Give the lawn its last mow of the year (hopefully!)
- While the weather is warm and wet weeds can still be a problem. Keep on top of things with regular weeding or by using a weed killer
- Work over the empty areas on the veg plot and apply some pelleted chicken manure
That should keep you out of trouble! Enjoy the sunshine.
Thursday, 18 September 2008
Anyway...The mushroom kits have arrived. They are really easy to grow and everything you need to get started is in the kit. Once they are growing (takes about 4 - 8 weeks) all you do is twist them off to harvest and they'll carry on growing. They cost less than £3, so make an ideal present!